Cheer on Charlie
The Olympics Tokyo is well underway!
We were so excited to have CCGS alumni Charlie Hunter (2014) represent Australia in the Men’s 800m. Charlie made it through to the semi-finals on 1 August making Australian Olympic history as one of three Aussies to ever get through to this competitive stage. This was also Charlie's first Olympics!
In a strong and gallant effort, Charlie finished his semi-final race in just 1:46.73.
CCGS students, staff and community are so incredibly proud of Charlie who gave it everything in a very tough race.
In the lead up to Charlie's Olympic journey, the CCGS community shared their support to rally him on.
Thank you to everyone who joined in. Take a look at our messages of support below as we Cheered on Charlie!
- Charlie attended CCGS from 2002 (Kindergarten) to 2014 (Year 12)
- He still holds School records in:
- Junior School, Age 11 and 12 - 800m and Prep Open 1500m
- Senior School, Age 16, Senior - 800m and Open 1500m
- ISA (Independent Sporting Association), Senior 800m, Intermediate 1500m, Senior 1500m, Intermediate 3000m and Senior 3000m
- He was:
- Sportsman of the Year in 2014
- Cross Country Runner of the Year in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2014
- Athlete of the Year in 2011, 2013, 2014
- Captain of the NSW All Schools Cross Country team and finished 2nd in Australia in his event
- Earlier this year, he broke the Australian indoor records at 800m and the mile, twice, with times of 1.45.59 and 3.53.49
- Then in the 2021 outdoor NCAAs, he came third in the 800m, with two PBs of 1.45.75, then 1.45.23.
- Two weeks later he ran a time of 1.44.35 – the second fastest 800m in Australian history!