- Applicants must submit a portfolio of their music reports to CCGS.
- Applicants must download a music teacher reference form and send to their referee to complete and return to CCGS.
Please return both documents to: Registrar, Central Coast Grammar School Arundel Rd, Erina Heights NSW 2260 by Monday 5 February 2018.
Music scholarships are open to students who study one or more of the following instruments:
- Keyboard: piano
- Strings: violin, viola, cello, double bass, guitar and harp
- Woodwind: flute, clarinet, saxophone, bassoon, oboe
- Brass: cornet/trumpet, french horn, trombone, baritone, euphonium, tuba
- Percussion: drum kit, orchestral/tuned percussion
- Singing: all voices
Applicants may apply on their main instrument or two (only) instruments
- A high standard of performance demonstrated at the audition
- Strong aural, musicology and theory skills past and present musical experience, based on reports provided by the applicant and a reference provided by music teacher
- Performance in the Scholarship Examination
After the results of the Scholarship Examination are available, students who have been placed on the shortlist will be asked to attend an interview at the school. Scholarship interviews are conducted at the end of Term 1 and beginning of Term 2, 2018. If students are not available during this time period to attend an interview, unfortunately they will not be considered for a scholarship as this may delay the selection and offer process. Applicants should ensure they have no conflicting commitments during this time period.
Scholarship holders are expected to be ambassadors for Music at the School and are required to:
- Study Elective Music in Years 9 to 12 (Year 7 Scholarship candidates) and Study HSC Music in Years 11 and 12 (Year 11 Scholarship candidates).
- Be fully and willingly involved in at least two cocurricular music programs within the school
- Perform regularly in public, school and/or eisteddfod performances either as a soloist or ensemble performer
- Continue to learn their chosen musical instrument
- Prioritise school rehearsal and performances
Requirements for Audition
- Music Audition dates will be provided to music applicants prior to the scholarship examination.
- 2 contrasting pieces (in the case of students who play two instruments, one piece on each instrument only)
- Scales, to include both major and minor scales and their arpeggios
- Viva Voce on pieces presented and an unseen piece
- Sight reading (on their choice of instrument)
- Aural tests (involving such things as rhythm, pitch recognition and major and minor triads)
- Creative skills test
Candidates are required to provide their own accompanist, as is appropriate for the pieces selected.
Value of Scholarships
Scholarships cover remission of tuition fees only. Additional costs such as uniform items, computer notebook, textbooks, excursions and consolidated charges are not included. The value of each Scholarship may vary depending on the calibre of the candidate and may cover 100% of tuition fees, 75%, 50% or 25%. The School reserves the right to withhold a Scholarship (in any Year) if there are no candidates of sufficient merit. All Scholarships are subject to annual review but are normally tenable for the length of the recipient’s education at the School, subject to continuing satisfactory progress, performance and attitude. Music Scholarship winners are required to be actively involved in the Music and broader life of the School.
- The Scholarship examination will be held at Central Coast Grammar School on Thursday 15 February 2018, registration commencing from 8.15 - 8.45am. Assemble at the Performing Arts Centre car park, Arundel Road, Erina Heights.
- The examination will conclude at 12.45pm. After the exam, music applicants will be provided with lunch and are then required to sit a listening test which will assess musical aptitude (one hour in duration)
- External music applicants must be collected at 2.30pm
- Central Coast Grammar School students are required to remain at school following the music aptitude test and attend lessons until the end of the school day
- As the examination relates to Scholarships at Central Coast Grammar School only, applicants are unable to sit the examination at an alternative school campus
- Unfortunately there can be no amendments to examination times due to the number of applicants and a tight schedule on the day. Applicants should ensure they have no conflicting commitments
Music students are unable to tour the campus on the Scholarship Day but please view other tour opportunities including our Year 7 Information Morning on Friday 2 March, 2018.
Notification of Offer of Scholarship
A letter indicating whether the applicant has been successful or otherwise will be sent to the parents/guardian by the end of Term 2, 2018. The school does not provide feedback to parents on any aspect of the scholarship process. This includes the applicant’s performance in the scholarship examination, music aptitude test, music audition or any interview. Scholarships are awarded at the discretion of the school and the school’s decision is final.
A $1,500 Scholarship Entrance Deposit will become payable by new families to the School on acceptance of an offer of a Scholarship. This deposit is fully refundable without interest when your last child leaves the School. This is subject to parents having paid all monies due to the School and otherwise having complied with the Conditions of Enrolment. If the student’s enrolment is cancelled or if the student is withdrawn from the School prior to the end of Term 1, 2019 this deposit will not be refunded.
Students are shortlisted after the interview process. This list is kept active for 12 months from the date of the Scholarship Examination.